[moin-user] Running a limited deployment of moinmoin on python3

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Fri Jul 15 19:59:31 EDT 2016

On 07/15/2016 11:51 AM, Kris van der merwe wrote:
> It seems like most of the moinmoin libraries are on python 3.
> I need a very basic wiki/CMS for my site (wsgi python3).
>
> Is it feasible to run a subset of moinmoin functionality on python3 by
> omitting code that is still on python2?

No. I guess that won't work.

Some notes:

- moin 1.9.x won't get a python 3 port (but likely a minor 2.7-based
refresh)

- moin 2.0 (not released yet) has currently different priorities than
porting to python3 - there is lots todo until it can be released, so
that has priority.

- as that release will take some time still, py3 porting preparations
(not the port itself) can be done:

  - better tests, more test coverage
  - make sure all dependencies support py 3.4+
  - use latest py 2.7 syntax and features to prepare for 3

- release moin2 / do some minor and bugfix releases (all on py27)

- after that, python 2.7 will be almost EOL and python 3 will be very
widespread and adopted. Everybody will have a decent py 3.x version
(that means x >= 4). We can then just drop py2 support and move to py3
only (which is even easier than supporting both py27 and py34+ with same
source code).

--

GPG ID: 9F88FB52FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393