[Moin-user] Fwd: data_underlay_dir Not being what it's supposed to be

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sun Oct 12 17:44:34 EDT 2014

On Sunday 12. October 2014 17.09.53 Rovanion Luckey wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to set up MoinMoin using the packages in the Ubuntu
> repositories, nginx and uwsgi. I'm having an issue [0] where I get an error
> stating that the underlay directory is not accessible where
> data_underlay_dir is stated to be located in a directory not set in any
> config file.
>
> You see the error [0] says that data_underlay_dir is set to ./underlay
> while the wikiconfig.py clearly sets it to a non-relative url.

The wikiconfig.py file probably isn't used. See below for why I think this is.

> For completeness my site conf [2], uwsgi conf [3] and farmconf [4] is also
> provided in the links below.
>
> I've made sure to restart uwsgi after changing the configurations related
> to moinmoin, even though a reload should suffice. The nginx conf [5] points
> to the socket provided by uwsgi, has been restarted and .. well .. I'm
> running short of ideas.
>
> [0] http://paste.debian.net/125837/
> [1] http://paste.ubuntu.com/8546386/

In this copy of the configuration (wikiconfig.py), I see the following
lines...

    instance_dir = /usr/share/moin/

    # Where your own wiki pages are (make regular backups of this directory):
    data_dir = os.path.join(instance_dir, 'data', '') # path with trailing /

    # Where system and help pages are (you may exclude this from backup):
    data_underlay_dir = /usr/share/moin/underlay/ # path with trailing /

Note that neither instance_dir nor data_underlay_dir seem to be set to valid
strings. Remember that this file is a Python source file and thus these values
must be valid Python syntax.

Since this file seems to be for a single wiki and not for a farm (or instance
thereof), I imagine that you aren't using this particular file, however. If
this file were being used, you'd get a syntax error from Moin, certainly.

Meanwhile...

> [2] http://paste.ubuntu.com/8546401/

...in this file (mywiki.py) you might consider setting something like...

    data_underlay_dir = '/usr/share/moin/underlay'

...just to see if it helps.

Paul