[Moin-user] Spam - very bad news

Thomas Waldmann tw-public at gmx.de
Thu Mar 15 10:06:51 EDT 2012

> http://sandbox.aplwiki.com

^^ that wiki is running moin 1.9.3

>From docs/CHANGES of 1.9.4:

"""Improve textcha security, use some crypto and timing to make cheating
harder - use cfg.textchas_expiry_time = 600 (default, seconds) to set the
time a textcha is valid."""

Try that, maybe it helps.

There are also some other changes and fixes in 1.9.4 you may like, see there:

http://hg.moinmo.in/moin/1.9/file/1.9.4/docs/CHANGES

> I am now getting large piles of spam into the wiki. It's certainly
> done by robots because every night the sandbox is set back, so a human
> would realize that the effort is for nothing.

Well, I think we also have to consider hybrid approaches: some automated
thing that also includes helps of humans (maybe even humans that do not
know that they are helping to break captchas).

> That means that robots somehow managed to get over the captchas, and
> that is really bad news. I wonder whether others suffer from similar
> problems.

Well, I noticed some issue with the old textcha code, that is why that
change was done that is now included in 1.9.4.