[Moin-user] Moin CGI script permissions on RedHat RHEL6.3 and CentOS6.3

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon Jul 16 14:44:09 EDT 2012

On Monday 16 July 2012 19:51:59 Reimar Bauer wrote:
> Just a question
>
> is there no mod_wsgi on sel linux?

I haven't really looked at mod_wsgi on RHEL. There might be complications
involved with defining a SELinux policy since I understand that mod_wsgi
deploys a daemon and that kind of activity has to be explicitly enabled. I
think I had to do something similar to this for PHP and MediaWiki so that
Apache processes could talk to MySQL.

See here for more of this kind of thing:

http://selinuxproject.org/page/ApacheRecipes

> Or why do you use CGI?

Actually, I often use CGI because it is very easy to deploy and because I
haven't bothered to set up mod_wsgi. The principal pitfall with CGI occurs
with Moin 1.9 because Moin wants to serve static content itself, rather than
leave it to Apache, and doing so using CGI really affects performance. A few
configuration changes to use Apache for static content, just as is done with
Moin 1.8, and performance is reasonable again.

Some people find setting Apache up to be too much work, but defining a
ScriptAlias and an Alias is pretty easy - probably easier than
troubleshooting mod_wsgi if that is causing trouble - and I have my moinsetup
tool to handle the "pathname calculus" that usually causes problems when
configuring Apache to serve content.

I do aim to use mod_wsgi a bit more, though.

Paul