[Moin-user] Default License for Wikis

Frank Lin PIAT fpiat at klabs.be
Tue Jun 2 02:51:50 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-02 at 00:12 +0100, Barry Cornelius wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 11:46:04PM +0200, Frank Lin PIAT wrote:
> > I am looking for some sensible license to use for a wiki. Obviously,
> > some license like CC-BY-SA, CC-BY-NC, CC-BY, GFDL, OPL comes to my mind.
> > Which license do you use?

Thank you for your feed-back.

> OSS Watch have a wiki at:
>     http://wiki.oss-watch.ac.uk/
>
> Unless otherwise indicated, each page of their wiki
> is Copyright 2007-2009 University of Oxford and
> each page is licensed under the Creative Commons
> Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 England & Wales licence.

Yes, copyright attribution is an option. I'll mention that.

> Whenever you go to edit a page, you find at the
> top of the edit screen:
>     By hitting Save Changes you put your changes under the
>     Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 England &
>     Wales Licence.  If you don't want that, hit Cancel
>     to cancel your changes.
>
> > It would be nice to had some instruction in moinmoin help pages on how
> > to  select and apply a license.
> > Do you have some ideas about it?
>
> OSS Watch configure their wiki using the page_footer2,
> page_license_enabled and page_license_page variables.

The page_footer is a good idea. It is probably more explicit that a mere
link in page_credits = [].

BTW, I found the statement "GPL Licensed" at the bottom of moinmoin
wikis instances is misleading (is it moinmoin code, or does it apply to
the content). I dropped it from my wiki.

Regards,

Franklin