[Moin-user] Moin standalone and IPv6?

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Sat Jan 3 06:27:46 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-02 at 17:53 +0100, Thomas Waldmann wrote:
> In case you urgently need moin + IPv6 for production, maybe use some
> WSGI server (maybe apache2 + mod_wsgi) with moin 1.8.1 - I guess that
> would work.

MoinMoin seems to work just fine on IPv6, if set up following the
standard instructions for a CGI/Apache/Linux install.

I haven't tested extensively or checked all the nooks and crannies, but
I can create accounts, log in, view, create and edit pages, upload
attachments, download attachments, and generally all do the obvious
things. Firefox located the site by name and by IP address, and it
worked fine both ways. I have not tried it as a named virtual host, root
wiki etc.

Searching the sources for things like "dns" "resolve" and "ip address",
I found very little outside the standalone server code that looked like
it had anything to do with resolving names or making network
connections.

The intended environment is dual-stacked, and I tested on a dual-stack
machine, so it is possible that something is still using IPv4 under the
hood, but at this stage I am tentatively confident that MoinMoin works
well enough with IPv6. For my needs, the CGI setup is sufficient.

That said, I would still like to hear from anyone else using MoinMoin
with IPv6, whether successfully or otherwise :-), and especially if the
other setups (FastCGI, WSGI etc have been shown to work.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (h)

GPG fingerprint: 07F3 1DF9 9D45 8BCD 7DD5 00CE 4A44 6A03 F43A 7DEF