[Moin-user] add links to header in Balanced theme?

George Oliver georgeolivergo at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 13 21:32:32 EDT 2008

hi, I'm a new user of MoinMoin trying to add some links to the header using the Balanced theme, so far without real success.

Here is what I've tried:

In the wiki's wikiconfig.py:

   navi_bar = [
        # If you want to show your page_front_page here:
        #u'%(page_front_page)s',
        u'RecentChanges',
        u'FindPage',
        u'[[http://www.matingball/forums | Forum]]'
        u'HelpContents',
              ]

In the wiki's data/plugin/theme/balanced.py I added

u'<a href="http://www.matingball/forums">Forum</a>',

in a couple of places, such as the header's html list, and was able to get the Forum link up on the screen, but never really aligned with the layout of the other html.

In balanced.py there is this code for the header:

            # Header
            u'<div id="header">',
            u'<div id="mastwrap"><div id="masthead">',
            #self.logo(),
            self.searchform(d),
            self.username(d),
                        # uncomment to include tabsbar. Also make CSS change to make room for it
            #self.sisternav(),
            u'</div></div>',
            self.msg(d),
            #self.navibar(d),    <------  note this here
            #self.trail(d),
            self.extranav(d),
            self.editbar(d),
            u'</div>',
                        # uncomment to include sidebar. Also make CSS change to make room for it
            #self.sidemenu(d),

            # Post header custom html (not recommended)
            #self.emit_custom_html(self.cfg.page_header2),

            # Start of page
            self.startPage(),
            self.title(d),
        ]
        return u'\n'.join(html)

I tried uncommenting the line with self.navibar, and also changing this to self.navi_bar (as in wikiconfig.py it is navi_bar) but didn't have success down this route.

Does anyone have some pointers to figuring out how to add links to the header?

Is the balanced theme over-riding or not using the wiki's wikiconfig.py when it comes to the navibar?

Also, a related question -- I've noticed that after making these changes,  I can refresh the wiki multiple times and get a different refreshed page every time, usually cycling through two or three versions of the same page (for example, if I remove an element from the header, refresh, then put it back in, refreshing a few times might make the element appear, disappear, reappear, etc.). It's not at all predictable from my perspective. What is going on here when I do these refreshes?

The site uses the latest version of Moin and mod_python under Apache.

thanks, George