[Moin-user] Why oh why!

Mike Fechner mike.fechner at consultingwerk.de
Thu Dec 11 03:28:54 EST 2008

Pierre,

> It's just my opinion, but it's important for serious software
> to maintain backward compatibility at all cost.

from a professional working perspective, I can understand your point. But please don't forget: MoinMoin is an OpenSource initiative - it's free. Work of volunteers. Not a commercial software product you paid a license and probably product maintenance fees for. So the cost of OSS "maybe" that the user needs to be willing to spend more time on reading documentation before upgrading.

Even with commercial software (thinking of a big shop in Redmond) upgrades are a headache once in a while.

> Most users don't care if the engine is better. What they care about is,
> they had something working

It has been said before: You could have sticked on the old version for ever.

I'm running 2 wikis at 1.5.something and a new one at 1.8. I also don't have the time to upgrade the old wikis right now - but I may do it at some time. Nobody forces me to do so.

Mike
(not involved in moin moin development at all, just a happy user since a while)