[Moin-user] Need migration (1.5.8->1.6.2) help

Thomas Waldmann tw-public at gmx.de
Sat Apr 12 14:19:50 EDT 2008

Hi,

> After struggling for two days I have finally managed to get a new wiki
> up and running with the moinmoin 1.6.2.

Well, you could've join us on the IRC channel before getting too
frustrated.

> My biggest wished (on a
> wishlist) would be that the instance creation and wiki config setup
> process could be made more easy.

The problem is that the concrete setup (esp. pathes, users, groups,
etc.) varies from system to system.

But otoh, moin does not really care about pathes, users, groups - you
just have to make sure that stuff is found and that access rights are
given.

> Now after much problems I found out I
> have to hand edit where the log file should be stored f.ex.

I don't think I know what you mean.

> Also more
> verbose error messages would help debug what the real problem is.

The logging system was further improved for moin 1.7.

> My big headache is still that I cannot manage to migrate all my old
> pages. I have followed all recipes I have found on the net but nothing
> work unfortunately.
>
> In the end I had to :
>
> $ cd /usr/local/share/moin/server
> $ cp /usr/share/python-support/python-moinmoin/MoinMoin/script/moin.py .
> $ cp ourwiki.py wikiconfig.py
> $ ./moin.py --config-dir=/usr/local/share/moin/ourwiki
> --wiki-url=http://localhost/ourwiki/ migration data

Sorry, but I don't see how this makes sense. ourwiki.py looks somewhat
like part of a farm configuration, so I don't understand why you rename
it to wikiconfig.py and move it to another place.

> Calling migration script for /usr/local/share/moin/ourwiki/data, base
> revision 1060200 Final mig script reached, migration is complete.

This looks like either
a) you already did the migration for that data_dir
b) you tried to migrate the "fresh" data_dir we provide under wiki/data/
for new moin users. Of course it doesn't do anything there because it
already is at 1.6.2 level.

> Is is a problem that I sometimes use the Frame or EvenCalender ?

I don't know. These are 3rd party plugins and might need an update to
work with moin 1.6.x.

Maybe you find this useful (it's maybe not the standard procedure, but
my own way to do migrations):

http://moinmo.in/ThomasWaldmann/AnotherWayToMigrateFrom1.5To1.6

Try it and maybe just join us on #moin IRC channel in case you encounter
problems again.