[Moin-user] What kind of configuration I should use (from Fas tCGI over ISAPI to Twisted)?

Rick Vanderveer rvanderveer at cognitivearts.com
Wed Jan 10 18:19:07 EST 2007

Marcel,
I agree, there seems to be a lot of emphasis on using the preferred FastCGI
or mod_python for moin.  However, I think this is largely for public-facing
wiki's.  If you are using it for mainly internal purposes, you simply don't
need that level of firepower.

Take my example:
We're an internet shop, and we have our share of dual-Xeon CPU's, raid5,
etc. But, I wanted to set up a documentation wiki for internal use. I took
an ancient old desktop (667mhz Pentium III, with 512Mb Ram, and a single
hard drive), and set up moin using Windows 2000 Workstation, Apache 2,
Python 2.5, Windows authentication using SSPI, all just to get my feet wet.

I decided to go live with this box, and with about the same number of people
hitting it as you have (30 to 50 people reading/editing, even dl'ing
documents), the box has held up...perfectly fine.  We all have the latest
desktops and servers for our client-facing servers (the usual web/database
combinations), but I'm yet to hear a complaint about speed on our little
interal wiki. In my opinion, the the number of people that will be using
your wiki, your hardware is overkill.

It's long been an IT Admin's little secret to take hardware that's "too
slow" for desktop use and move it to the server room as dedicated little
servers. I have several running everything from Subversion, dedicated SMTP
server, a Jabber IM server, etc.

I suggest doing a basic set-up, and see how it works for you. You can always
move to FastCGI or mod_python later...

http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/HelpOnInstalling/ApacheOnWin32

-Rick