[Moin-user] broken/changed behavior for RecentChanges in 1.5.6

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Jan 2 11:30:11 EST 2007

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 09:52:57AM +0100, Thomas Waldmann wrote:

> You seem to see a different page than me, I see it listed multiple times
> there. I am not logged in.
>
> And there also seems to be some strange effect with the theme. Although
> I am not logged in, it shows me the green updated and yellow new icons
> that are normally only used when you are logged in and have a bookmark
> set. But they only link to the diff between most recent revision and 2nd
> most recent edition. So this seems to be a problem with the theme you
> use maybe? It should use the blue-red glasses icon for that case.

I have since applied the patch, to bring back the old behavior.  I now get
the multiple entries version at the site.

> What do you mean by "previous"? The optimized way moin shows
> RecentChanges didn't change since a long time.

This wiki was tied down on 1.3 for a while due to the environment, so
perhaps it is 1.3 behavior that I'm missing.  I still think it is degraded
function.  We've got a different private wiki that does about 100 edits per
day (1000 registered users), and the new (Most)RecentChange(s) behavior in
that environment is going to be very bad for users there who rely on that
page to see not only what pages changed, but the level of activity on pages
since they last looked.

> > I'm sad to see the maintainers appear to be wed to the current behavior, as
> > I've gotten plenty of user complaints from my wikis (beyond just me) after
> > this change occurred. :(
>
> Are you maybe confusing this with mediawiki style?
>
> If not, please tell me when that "change" happened (and why your RC
> looks so different when not logged in).
>

> BTW, RecentChanges is just a macro and everybody wanting mediawiki style
> RC (listing every single edit separately) can just install another macro
> doing this.
>
> I don't consider moin's condensed way showing RC being a bug, but a
> feature. BTW, if you don't already do it: being logged in and using RC
> bookmarks is the best way using it.

Well, to each his own I guess.  I consider it a usability bug.  While
RecentChanges is only a macro, it is a core part of the wiki from an end
user or administrator perspective.  As such, I was looking for a config
option to turn on full history on RecentChanges.  It would be really nice if
that was the way moin worked.

	-Sean