[Moin-user] Updates slow on internal network

Fred Drake fdrake at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 08:04:13 EST 2006

On 3/27/06, Steve Zatz <slzatz at gmail.com> wrote:
> I realize this may be a networking question and not a MoinMoin
> question but here goes.

Here's a question; not sure how helpful it is.

When editing from the LAN, are you addressing the server using an IP
address accessible from the outside, or are you using the address from
inside the LAN (192.168....)?  I've noticed such effects generally
when using a hostname that resolves to an external address;
appearantly some weird timing issues are introduced by adding extra
networking layers between the source and host, and involving the same
router in both directions.

Not being a networking guru, I don't know if this is a natural effect
of that sort of looping around to get back to the LAN, but I've seen
it happen, and not just with HTTP connections.

  -Fred

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education." -- Mark Twain