[Moin-user] Error on Import MoinMoin and 404

Thomas Waldmann tw-public at gmx.de
Mon Jul 31 08:07:48 EDT 2006

> When I try to import the wiki by "Import MoinMoin" I get the wellknown
> error:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> ImportError: No module named MoinMoin

If you do not install moin to standard location (using python setup.py
install), you need to modify the sys.path.insert statements in moin.cgi,
so that it is able to find the MoinMoin module. (addendum: I saw in your
moin.cgi that you did this. maybe check for typos and whether you
pointed IIS to the right moin.cgi)
> When I try to access the MoinMoin Frontpage via
> http://127.0.0.1/Handbuch I get a 404 Error, while the address changes
> to http://127.0.0.1/Handbuch/moin.cgi/

We deliver a index.html which maybe does not fit your needs. If it does
not, just delete it.
> I'm new on Python, Wiki, IIS :-( and so I think it's a very stupid
> little problem.

I can't help with IIS.

I can just point you to the moin IIS installation instructions - they
contain IMPORTANT hints about how to fix the wrong IIS default
configuration (esp. for 404 - or you will never be able to create a page).

> My questions are:
> 1) Is there a relation between my two errors?

I guess rather not.
> 2) Is it correct, that I have to configure the moin.cgi in the path of
> the Wiki or do I have to configure that file in the programm path of
> MoinMoin?

You have to configure the moin.cgi which is executed by your web server,
whereever that is.

> 3) Is it correct to set the path via "append" not via "insert"?

insert is better because it will make sure to find that path FIRST.
> 4) Is it correct to set the path with slashes / and not with back slashes \?

Better ask a windows python user. :)
> 5) If that is all right, where is the mistake?
>
> My configuration:
> IIS 5 (configured with IIS Lockdown Wizard)

If you have a choice, better use Apache on Windows. It is less broken.

If the wiki is rather a personal desktop wiki, you could use MMDE which
is easy to setup.

For a small work group, you could also use standard moin (not MMDE) and
standalone server (instead of IIS/Apache).