[Moin-user] Error when running ./moin.py

Nir Soffer nirs at freeshell.org
Wed Oct 26 09:26:47 EDT 2005

On 26 Oct, 2005, at 17:33, Jody Cleveland wrote:

> I just installed MoinMoin Wiki on a redhat 4.0AS server.
>
> I performed the BasicInstallation, and then did the WikiInstance. When
> go to the directory of the instance and run ./moin.py I get this error:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./moin.py", line 88, in ?
>     run(Config)
>   File
> "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/MoinMoin/server/standalone.py",
> line 476, in run
>     config = configClass()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/MoinMoin/server/__init__.py",
> line 82, in __init__
>     raise RuntimeError("Unknown user: '%s', check user setting" %
> RuntimeError: Unknown user: 'www-data', check user setting
>
> Any ideas what may be wrong?

The problem is (as the error told you) - you don't have the user
www-data. This user exists on Debian and work for many people. You
should check what is the name of the user and group used by Apache,
usually by doing:

	egrep '^(User|Group)' /etc/httpd/httpd.conf

It would be nice if someone would make an RPM package for red that that
contain the correct name, or fetch is from the Apache configuration
file.

Best Regards,

Nir Soffer