[Moin-user] questions on spell-checking

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Thu Oct 6 13:36:04 EDT 2005

    Ken> The MoinMoin spellchecker doesn't recognize _any_ english words
    Ken> until they are checked off. Is there something else I need to
    Ken> install to have this work?

This threw me for a loop as well.  You need to add a symbolic link to your
machine's equivalent of /usr/dict or /usr/share/dict.  Weirdly enough, that
link (it must be named "dict") seems to belong in your MoinMoin package
(e.g. /usr/lib/python2.3/site-pacakges/MoinMoin).  It seems to me that the
MoinMoin install could sniff around a little and establish the link for you.

That's not the last step though.  Since you've already used the spell check
feature, MoinMoin will have already created a hash file that contains the
words you've checked already.  You need to zap this file.  It is named
spellchecker.dict and is located in your data/cache directory (one per wiki
instance).  After you delete this, the next spell check will be a bit slow
as it munches on /usr/dict/words.  Further spell checks will be faster,
since use the hash file.

I'm sure this is spelled out somewhere on the MoinMoin site, but I found the
bits I needed in site-packages/MoinMoin/action/SpellCheck.py.

This is for a Unix-style install.  YMMV for Windows.

--
Skip Montanaro
Katrina Benefit Concerts: http://www.musi-cal.com/katrina
skip at pobox.com