[Moin-user] Login confusion behind proxy

Todd O'Bryan toddobryan at mac.com
Sun Nov 13 14:40:01 EST 2005

I'm trying to use a MoinMoin wiki for some classes I teach, but
either there's a configuration problem in our proxy or MoinMoin has
trouble with requests from what seem to be the same IP address.

Here's the symptom I'm seeing:

Suzy will log in from her computer and will be able to see pages as
appropriate.
Johnny will log in from his computer and will appear to be logged in
as Suzy.

The problem is likely related to the fact that all traffic from
school goes out through an HTTP proxy server that I have no control
over, so it appears that all requests are coming from the same
computer, when, in fact, there are 400 different computers behind the
proxy. Another possibility could be that our proxy is inappropriately
caching pages and not realizing that it should get different results
for the same IP address (though I haven't had this happen on other
sites with login, so it could be that MoinMoin is reporting an
inappropriate last-changed time and is encouraging the proxy to serve
the cached version with the wrong person logged in).

Any ideas how to fix this? Obviously, when who someone is logged in
as changes sporadically, it's a little hard to make things work
appropriately.

Thanks,
Todd