[Moin-user] First post - newbie

Tom Cloyd tomcloyd at bestmindhealth.com
Fri May 20 09:24:25 EDT 2005

Greetings!

After considerable review of my options, I decided to go with MoinMoin,
and still think it was a good decision. But...I'm having the devil's own
time with installation. This is far, far too Byzantine.

I'm wanting to install a single private wiki to my WinXP box. That's all.
Simple. I now have 8 different files documentation open, trying to figure
out what to do next. In the background, at this time in my life, I'm
learning Python, and having an excellent time doing it. Really pleased.
But I'm having with MoinMoin the same problem I've had with Plone (I have
successfully got a dedicated instance of Plone/Zope to run my main web
site off a server at Nidelven-it.no; after almost a year it's finally
working right). I don't think these Python applications are very user
friendly. I'm a busy, hard working professional psychotherapist who does
this computer stuff at a level far far above virtually all my peers, but I
come to these applications and immediately drown. I DO have other wiki
choices which have a simple 2-step installation. Sounds fantastic. Looks
like they want users. Regrettably, I want MoinMoin.

OK, enough of that. If I get this thing running and like it (which I
expect to), I'll make a bit of a commitment to solving the problem I'm now
encountering, by writing some documentation, so that the next person
doesn't have to have the experience I'm having. I'm on my 4th attempt -
4th day - trying to launch MoinMoin. I'm determined that today will be the
day.

I have but one question at this point: is there, anywhere, documentation
giving a more or less linear path to the kind of installation I'm trying
to achieve? I really do not need all these decision branches, particularly
when they keep using undefined terms. If there is such documentation, and
I don't know about it, I'd appreciate the update.

While I'm waiting to hear, I'll just keep working at it. If I can
formulate a decent question about the particular problem I'm having at the
moment, I send it in. Right now I'm starting over. Practice makes...more
practice...so far.

-- t.

Tom Cloyd
Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< BestMindHealth.com >>

Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client (program):
http://www.opera.com/mail/