[Moin-user] Appropriate way to use Moin

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Thu Mar 31 08:50:21 EST 2005

Hi,

We currently use Moin to keep organisational information for a theatre
backstage crew.  I'd like to describe one aspect of what we're doing and
see if anyone can suggest a better way of doing it... (which could
potentially be a suggestion that we're using the wrong sort of hammer
for driving our screws).

We have a table of upcoming theatre shows - this is actually a page per
year that uses [[Include...]] macros to stack up the per-month pages for
the year.

Each month page has a table of shows in that month - this contains:-
      * Company - a wiki link to the presenting company show page
      * Show - a wiki link to a subpage with the information for this
        show
      * Dates
      * Stage Manager
      * Assistant Stage Manager

All of this information is also on the per-show page, along with much
much more.  However we are currently keeping the per-show data and the
excerpt of it on the per-month page in sync manually, which is obviously
both time consuming and error prone.

Can anyone point me to an existing method for extracting a batch of
field data out of a bunch of subpages and populating a table with them?

If not, would writing a custom macro appear to be a reasonable approach
to this?

The thing that worries me is that we could end up with a serious
performance problem - currently the year page (which is how most people
go into this) already includes 11 month subpages (we're closed in
August).  If each month page hits another n subpages then things might
break...

Maybe another approach is to make the month pages the master source for
the information they hold, and somehow pull that into the per-show
subpages.  Or hold all of that basic info in another CSV like table and
build both from there....

Any suggestions gratefully received.

	Nigel.