[Moin-user] Moinmoin as a CMS

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Thu Dec 29 01:13:05 EST 2005

Edmund wrote:
> Not being happy with any of the current content management systems, I
> started to write my own. After getting the basics going in terms of
> using ReST for content, etc. I thought that I was duplicating a lot of
> what Moinmoin already does (we use it for collaboration on our company
> intranet).
>
> Seems to me then, that Moinmoin already provides a pretty good basis
> for a CMS to host a corporate website with mostly static content
> (products, contact information, etc.), such as:
>
> 1. Versioning
> 2. Decent, non-HTML mark-up such as ReST, Moinmoin's own mark-up
> style, etc.
> 3. ACLs
> 4. Clean way to extend functionality via macros, etc.
> 5. Python (yes, I like Python but don't like Zope, Plone, etc.)
>
> What is missing is:
>
> a. Workflow (approval chains)
> b. Cannot stage pages (i.e. until a page is approved, it is not made
> public)
> c. ???
>

> The list of negatives is suspiciously short, so I wonder if anybody
> has tried to use Moinmoin to host a corporate website? What can't it
> handle well? Is this a disaster waiting in the wings?
>

> ...Edmund.

While MoinMoin does have limitations as a CMS, it can do quite a bit.
It serves several large production sites.  We use it for the Fedora
Project ( http://fedoraproject.org/ ) to fulfill many CMS needs.  We are
now looking at how we can solve additional needs, including through
expansion of MoinMoin and through integration with other technologies.
MoinMoin has proven to be very scalable and very extensible.  With a
little cleverness, you can usually get it to do what you need.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

http://www.n-man.com/