[Moin-user] Attachments

Kenneth McDonald kenneth.m.mcdonald at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 16 12:43:29 EDT 2005

I noticed this statement on one of the Configuration help pages:
-----------
The AttachFile action enables a page to have multiple attached files.
Since file uploads could be abused for DoS (Denial of Service)
attacks, AttachFile is an action that may be enabled by the wiki
administrator. To do this, add "allowed_actions = ['AttachFile']" to
your configuration file.

This is all you usually need to do for configuration.

 Note that we plan to remove that option in 1.4. Because of that
and the security problems noted below, we do not recommend that option.

------------

Is this really true--attachments in MoinMoin are going away? I can
understand some security concerns, and perhaps disabling inlining of
non-image attachments (though even there, couldn't the user just type
in the possibly dangerous text?), but for us (and many others, I
imagine) attachments are critical. We need to allow our users to view
images and download things like PDFs and scripts for our product, and
they need to be able to upload images (we're a graphics company) and
their own scripts for other users. They _don't_ need to be able to
inline anything other than images, so perhaps that's a restriction
that could be made?

If someone could clarify this situation as soon as possible, I'd
greatly appreciate it. We've put enough time into MoinMoin that it
would already be quite difficult to abandon it, but if this element
of it is going away, we need to look at a different solution before
we really get committed to it.

Thanks,

Ken