[Moin-user] Reset User Password

Thomas Waldmann tw-public at gmx.de
Tue Sep 21 03:06:13 EDT 2004

> We do not have email support on the machine on which the wiki is
> present.

Not good in that case. :-|

> One of the users have forgotten the login password. How can I
> reset the password? Or how can I delete the user so that I can create a
> new user with the same username?

The best method is like that:

Let the user create a new account like FirstnameLastnameNew be used!
with a new password. That account must not be used for wiki editing.

Locate the user file:
cd data/user
grep FirstnameLastnameNew *

Copy the line with the encrypted password to the old user file (also use
grep to locate the old user file) and save it.

Finally, delete the file with FirstnameLastnameNew.

Maybe enable mail processing to have an easier way.

Thomas