[Moin-user] + and - in ACLs

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Fri Oct 29 11:20:08 EDT 2004

    >> Could someone explain to me how this
    >>
    >> acl_rights_before  = "AdminGroup:admin,read,write,delete,revert
    >> +TrustedGroup:admin"
    >>
    >> Is different from the same case without the + on TrustedGroup?

    Thomas> Maybe refactor this and add it to
    Thomas> MoinMaster:HelpOnAccessControlLists - thanks. :)

I read through the entire MoinMaster:HelpOnAccessControlLists page and still
don't understand quite how + and - work.  Any chance of adding a couple
examples with step-by-step explanations how they are processed?  The one
example I saw:

    #acl SomeUser:read,write SomeGroup:read,write,admin All:read

    To make the system more flexible, there are also two modifiers: the
    prefixes '+' and '-'. When they are used, the given ACL entry will only
    match if the user is requesting the given rights. As an example, the
    above ACL could also be written as:

    #acl -SomeUser:admin SomeGroup:read,write,admin All:read

    Or even:

    #acl +All:read -SomeUser:admin SomeGroup:read,write,admin

doesn't explain what is happening as MoinMoin processes the page.  In
addition, by not explaining how they differ it implies that + and - are
somehow interchangeable.

Skip