[Moin-user] turning off intercaps wiki names

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Thu Dec 12 03:18:08 EST 2002

Hi Mark,

> I looked at the GaGa parser which automatically makes links of existing
> pages. Do I also need to hack parsers/wiki.py to do what I need?

Yes. But maybe it would be best to discuss a bit before (so that we
maybe find features and methods useful for all users).

> (BTW, I like Thomas' idea - I would want links to be either explicitly
> defined, or defined if they reference an existing page).

The latest incarnation of GaGaParser (see

http://linuxwiki.de/gaga/GaGa)

was modified to make a link out of (almost) ANY word. So you simply
write standard text and the parser makes wikilinks out of ALL words
except the words on GaGaBlackList (simple words like "and", "or", "he",
"she" etc.).

Standard text becomes an almost "invisible" link as the markup is
neither coloured nor underlined, but if you move the mouse pointer over
it, you'll see that it really is a link (and you can create a page by
clicking on it).

If the page already exists, the link gets coloured either blue (exact
match) or violet (case-insensitive match). Colours maybe need to improve.

The advantage of making a link out of any word is that you do not need
CamelCase or [".."] to initially make the link, just click on the words.

The disadvantage is that HTML output gets bigger, currently much bigger,
but that can be further optimized to <a href="...">word</a>. In the age
of websites with much graphics, video etc. and web servers/clients using
gzip compression, this should be no real problem.

And because ANY word is a link anyway, there would be the possibility to
drop CamelCase and let it to the user to either just use automatic
markup or to further emphasize this automatic markup by using manual
markup for bold (or underlined [still to be implemented]).

I think this parser modification is very user-friendly although
(optionally) breaking with CamelCase culture.

The subpage stuff has yet to be tested/defined for this latest incarnation.

greetings,

Thomas