[Moin-devel] Re: Moin-devel digest, Vol 1 #585 - 1 msg

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Fri Jun 3 15:46:54 EDT 2005

> > IMHO one of the weakest points in MoinMoin is how wiki.py parses
> > the input.  Using regular expressions simply doesn't work properly
> > for nested balanced expressions, and we have already far too many
> > exceptions which nested expressions work, and which not.
>
> Many exceptions?

Well, for me the rule is that you can nest expressions.  Everything
else is an exception :-)

> wiki.py is a plugin - you can replace it with your parser.

This is very good news.

> Note that many people want to change the wiki syntax, specially the
> linking syntax.

Basically, I'm not interested in changing the syntax as long it is
consistent.  IMHO many requests for extending and/or modifying the
syntax are caused by lacking nesting possibilities.

> Maybe it better work first the syntax, and only then check what it
> the best way to parse it.

I hope to have some time to write a grammar.

> There is already a discussion on new parsers in the wiki, try to
> search for it.

Will do, thanks.

    Werner