[Moin-devel] new icons and css -- interested in merging?

Frederik De Bleser frederik at pandora.be
Tue Jul 29 15:40:05 EDT 2003

> But the problem is that [the icons] are harder to distinguish now,
> it's all grey in grey and you really have to look hard to see what's
> there.

Good point. They *are* harder to see and distinguish, and it was
something I realized when I put them up on my site.

However, I think making them too large (like 32x32px) would be a bad
idea, since it would take a lot of the attention away from the main
content: the eye is more naturally drawn to graphics and images than
text.

But I think I could do a lot with just 16x16px, or maybe 24x24px. I'll
see what I can cook up, and I'll keep you informed. The problem right
now is that I have to go in and change the code whenever I change the
format of the icons. (I'll probably just throw away the width and
height parameters).

> was just the same: they looked TOO similar, they all were water drops
> with some tiny object under them...

Again, point taken. We should aim for a visual style that is
consistent, while at the same time communicating a lot in a small space.

> I am currently working on making that easier. The code just isnt ready
> for prime time...

MoinMoin has been up for quite some time now -- I have been using the
same version for about a year now. I'm currently learning Python (I
graduated in applied informatics and have worked with java for 4 years,
just starting Python). If there's anything I can do to speed the
process up...

> With theming we can have lots of different sets. But my personal
> interest is more on quality AND usability of ONE set than having lots
> of different (more or less unusable) ones.

Excellent -- a lot of people seem to forget this. That's also why I
somewhat dimmed the visual style of MoinMoin and aimed more for the
"content" look in my wiki. I am willing to work on a single, clear,
visual style, consisting of both icons, css and a clean xhtml
implementation. (I'm also a web standards addict)

> As Nir Soffer and me is also interested in that topic, we should make
> a discussion page in the wiki.

Great! Maybe a MoinMoinIcons page, a MoinMoinVisual page and a
MoinMoinWebStandards page.

Kind regards,

Frederik