[Moin-devel] Persistence

Nick Trout ntrout at rockstarvancouver.com
Tue Feb 4 18:14:03 EST 2003

> On Behalf Of Tim Bird
> Sent: February 4, 2003 5:56 PM
> To: moin-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Moin-devel] Persistence
>
> --- Nick wrote:
> > I was chatting on Moin IRC and the topic of Moin persistence
> > cropped up. We
> > could get a very nice speedup by running Moin persistently. Would
> > someone
> > care to comment on how much effort is necessary to make Moin
> > persistent?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean,

Each time the Moin cgi is called (I believe what happens is) a new
process created (?), a new instance of Python is involked, Moin is
executed, a request processed and the result rendered and returned to
the user. There is a noticeable pause whilst this happens. Using
something like mod_python (for Apache) you can have Python running
permanently on the web server with Moin running on it. In order to do
this though each request has to clean up after itself and not alter the
result of future requests. Currently I don't think this happens (perhaps
because there are global variables which retain state information) so I
was asking how much work it would be to sort all this out. For most
simple applications page rendering and appearance should be almost
instantaneous but, from memory, most of the Moin sites I have visited
have a noticable lag (mine included :0).