[Moin-devel] Page Permissions

Magnus Lycka magnus at thinkware.se
Mon Feb 3 01:50:05 EST 2003

At 11:03 2003-01-31 -0800, Nick Trout wrote:
>I though wikis were supposed to be simple.

Yes. Simple programs, perhaps not too simple to USE...

Wikis weren't intended to be for everybody. The original wiki
is certainly intended to be a forum for programmers, and it's
basically considered a benefit if some people feel reluctant to
contribute.

See http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WhyWikiWorks

If you want a CMS for non-techies, shouldn't you use something
with wysiwyg editor etc? MoniMoineese isn't completely forgiving.
Things like trailing spaces messing up headlines etc are bound
confuse people. Tables are all too limited, etc, etc.

In trying to "fix these little shortcomings" you will loose its
wikiness I fear...

>Yes. I like moin and it's a lot more modular than a lot of wikis out
>there. TBH since I started using Moin I've thought of a lot more things
>that I can do with it and I am starting to see it more as a CMS.

I've seen it a bit like that too, and I'm (as you notice) turning
away from that attitude. Maybe it could be useful to build a component
system where wikis and CMS and preprocessing for static pages etc
could be implemented by combining a set of MoinMoin(?) building block
in different configurations. But that's not what MoinMoin is today,
and I think it's bad to see a wiki as a CMS.

If you really want a CMS, I think you will see that the demands for
features will grow contunally, and if the base was something that
was initially intended to be as simple as a wiki, I think it might
turn out very top heavy and maybe tumble over eventually.

--
Magnus Lycka, Thinkware AB
Alvans vag 99, SE-907 50 UMEA, SWEDEN
http://www.thinkware.se/  mailto:magnus at thinkware.se