[Moin-devel] Hot draw equivalent

Joo-won Jung sanori at sanori.net
Wed Feb 20 06:49:04 EST 2002

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 01:28:23PM -0000, Nick Trout wrote:

> Hi,
> I'd like to put editable drawings and diagrams into my wiki.
>
> I thought of a couple of ways of doing it. Either some drawing commands
> could be specified and something like Python PIL used to create bitmaps
> which are included,

How about SVG(Scalable Vector Graphics) if you just add diagrams, not
pictures.

> or commands draw in a Java window or there is an
> editable Java applet. The latter is probably the best.
>
> I've searched the web and found some commerical products, eg. HotDraw, and
> wondered if anyone knew of any other free or open source solutions.

There are two web BBS program which emphasize drawing pictures.
One is "oekaki" (O-E-Ka-Ki) and the other is "PictureBBS" a.k.a. "rakukaki"
They are popular in Korea, and in Japan, I guess. (The origin is Japan :)

Each distribution site is:
 * Oekaki: http://www.oekakibbs.com/index_e.html
     You may get program from Download menu. Visit other menus if you
     want to see pictures drawn using Oekaki.
 * PicBBS: http://www16.cds.ne.jp/~ohno/picbbs/ (Japanese)

They provide Java applet that users draw pictures on web browser and
save it as PNG format. Since the applet is not the BBS itself,
you may use the applet independently after getting the acknowledge
of authors.

Hope this helps,

-Sanori