[Mobile-sig] opensource.com article about Python on Android

Gabriel Pettier gabriel.pettier at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 09:15:46 EST 2020

Thanks for sharing your feedback about kivy, though i would like to clarify
that sounds like misconceptions to me.
- Kivy is not based on tkinter, and doesn’t use it, it implements its own
widgets, based on opengl, you might be thinking about pygame, that we used
as a provider years ago, but these days we are not dependent on it at all,
and use SDL directly.
- Kivy doesn’t use a graphical designer, you might be thinking of things
like Glade (for gtk) or QTDesigner (for qt), while some users have been
asking for such a designer, there is no effort to develop one currently,
and we do encourage people to learn kvlang, which is a yaml-like
declarative language to create your UI, you can also use python directly,
but using that dsl does simplify a lot of things.
- Regarding accessibility, i’ll concede that’s a downside on kivy’s side,
we don’t have any integration allowing screen reader to work with the app,
we do have some ideas about how to solve that, there has been discussions
for example in issue 5836 <https://github.com/kivy/kivy/issues/5836>[1] but
as far as i’m aware, nobody is currently working on that, i agree this is a
shame, but it does require a core dev to have both the time (and we are
short on that) and access to users of these software, the former is
certainly more of a blocker than the latter.

[1] https://github.com/kivy/kivy/issues/5836