[Microbit-Python] another maximum size of program thread

Jeff Young jeff at perfectmotion.co.uk
Thu Jun 30 09:47:21 EDT 2016

Hi All

First time posting here.  Checked the archives and found my exact problem
outlined in a thread titled 'Maximum Size of Microbit Python Program' from
Jun '16.

I've tried a few things and I'm hitting the 'size of script' memory problem
as outlined in a post from Nicholas Tollervey.  Runtime memory is fine.

The program never starts and I just see;

MemoryError: memory allocation failed, allocating 3688 bytes

MicroPython v1.7-9-gbe020eb on 2016-04-18; micro:bit with nRF51822

The thread doesn't really reach any solutions so I was wondering if anyone
had found a workround ?  I've tried Mu and online editors.  Same result.
I'm seeing the messages via REPL in Mu

My program is 127 lines working but add in another 8 lines and it breaks.
No comments in the code ;-)

As an aside I originally wrote it using python classes and objects but found
I quickly hit the runtime error limit after about 3 or 4 objects.  Rewrote
with simple lists and we're up to 20 objects before hitting the runtime
limit.  I'm thinking classes/objects consume a lot of memory.  Also
lists-of-lists seem quite memory hungry.

It would be great to be able to see how much memory is being consumed/free
during runtime.  Great to be able to see the size of objects etc in memory.

I'm also wondering it there is some way to re-balance the memory
partitioning between the block of memory that holds the code and the runtime
memory ? ie take a few kb from the run time partition and add it to the code
partition ?

Thanks

Jeff