[Microbit-Python] Testing Point Documentation

Andrew Ferguson 500 andrewferguson500 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 04:38:47 EDT 2016

Hi Giles,

I've been in touch with Philip and he'll be sending me a replacement shortly (thanks Philip!). Below is a description of my usage of my micro:bit (taken from my email to Philip).

Apart from two or three times where it was powered from the official 2x AAA battery charger, I've exclusively powered it over USB from the USB port on my laptop. (Sony VAIO VGN-C2S running Debian 7 GNU / Linux).  When the issue developed, I was powering it from my laptop and hadn't powered it off batteries for at least four days. It has never been powered off a mains phone charger.

When using it though USB I have always used the supplied USB cable. I am not aware of any ESD events, and when not in use I stored the micro:bit in the original anti-static bag. I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'grounded', the device was plugged into the laptop through USB but the laptop was not connected to mains. (If you mean something else, please let me know).

The fault occurred whilst I was testing the serial output of the micro:bit. It was running a Python program to output some text and wait 1 second whenever the 'A' button was pressed. I was using the 'screen' utility to view the output. ('screen /dev/ttyACM0 115200'). Mid-way through the testing, the screen session exited, and I noticed that the power LED on the micro:bit had gone off. About ten seconds later I realised that the micro:bit was getting hot, and so I unplugged it from the computer.

As far as I can think of there has been nothing else during the use of the device that could have caused this. I was the first person to use the device (the teacher used one of the other three devices that was sent). As far as use is concerned, I have flashed it with various different .hex files, but have not used the I/O ports at all so it has not been connected to any device which could have caused the problem.

Giles, which chip on your micro:bit got hot? (On mine it was the USB serial chip), and how hot did they get - particularly the one that kept working? Mine got too hot to touch after about 20 seconds, and after about 30 the other side of the board got very hot as well.

Andrew