[Microbit-Python] Halp! Reinstalled OS and can't build firmware anymore.

Michael sparks.m at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 11:25:56 EST 2015

In this context, this:

    #include <cstddef>

Doesn't refer to libstdc++, it refers to this:

   /usr/arm-none-eabi/include/c++/4.9.3/cstddef

(rather than libstd++ etc)

Looking at the PPA info:

    https://launchpad.net/~terry.guo/+archive/ubuntu/gcc-arm-embedded

That does list packages for 15.10 -- ie  "wily"

The build status looks fine too from here:

https://launchpad.net/~terry.guo/+archive/ubuntu/gcc-arm-embedded/+packages

So that looks like the package exists.

Couple of possibilities:

- When you upgrade from one version of ubuntu to the next, some sources are
disabled, and need to be manually re-enabled. That might be the case here.
- Secondly, it might be that it's installed, but yotta can't find it. If
the above file exists on your system, that might be the cause.

My guess therefore is it might be the former PPA. (easiest option to
overlook and would just need re-enabling) The less nice option is that it's
installed and yotta can't find it. The file above is the one you're looking
for though.

Looking at the other PPA (which seems less relevant, but that could be
wrong)

    https://launchpad.net/~pmiller-opensource/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

And also in:

    https://launchpad.net/~pmiller-opensource/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+packages

I note that none of the packages there mention "wily" -- suggesting that
pmiller hasn't updated his PPA for wily/15.10 as yet. As to how much of a
problem that would be I'm not sure, but I think it's separate from not
being able to find cstddef, and one you'd hit after fixing the cstddef one.

All that said, it might also be worth checking that the output of this:

apt-cache showpkg gcc-arm-none-eabi

Shows useful stuff, rather than something like:

N: Unable to locate package gcc-arm-none-eabi

Hopefully some of that might be of use...

Michael.