[Microbit-Python] MicroPython on micro:bit TODO list

Michael sparks.m at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 14:43:21 CEST 2015

Nick,

On 15 July 2015 at 11:49, Nicholas H.Tollervey <ntoll at ntoll.org> wrote:

> Michael,
>
> I've explained to Howard and Fiona on several occasions that the Python
> community are only going to engage if they're unencumbered by NDAs etc...
>

> In fact, in the PSF's original proposal I stated that our modus operandi
> would be to work in the open.
>
> We're being set up to fail if this code isn't opened to the wider
> community asap.

> Some speedy positive movement on this front is essential.

I think this is completely understood and also expect this is also agreed
with.
(I certainly agree with all of it)

On a personal front, I share your frustration, and I doubt I'm the only
person
who does. (That's strictly with my cap on of this not being the day job
mind)

I also know they're listening, and trying. I just wanted to break it down
into
things I know that are easier, and harder, to try and avoid the hard things
(eg
maybe action 3)  stopping the easier ones (action 1 and 2) from happening.

On that front this explicit statement...

> I think both steps 1 and 2 that you list are essential for the continued
> success of MicroPython on micro:bit project. Releasing the code for the
> website would also make development of the Python editor a *lot* easier.

... is particularly helpful.

> We also need devices for developers to play with.

I agree that developing for a device you don't have is next to impossible.

> Time is something we don't have a lot of. We need to move quickly on this.

Agreed.

Michael.