[Microbit-Python] Python on the MicroBit. The PSF's suggested solution.

Harry Percival harry at pythonanywhere.com
Tue Jul 7 11:56:24 CEST 2015

Are we still under NDA?  I found myself wanting to respond to a grumpy
tweet by tech journalist Glynn Moody about how he thinks the Microbit is
locked-in to closed-source windows software....

https://twitter.com/glynmoody/status/618353513379332096

On 06/07/15 18:29, Michael wrote:

> On 6 July 2015 at 18:02, Nicholas H.Tollervey <ntoll at ntoll.org
> <mailto:ntoll at ntoll.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 06/07/15 17:53, Michael wrote:
>     > Have read the document.
>     >
>     > Micropython works on the device? Micropython works on the
>     device! That's
>     > *_astonishingly awesome_*, especially considering everything else
>     > discussed there.
>     >

>     You can thank Damien for that. He deserves a gold star for making
>     it happen.
>

> Indeed.
>
>     Exactly. It also helps that the chief ARM engineer involved with the
>     project (Jonny - also of this parish) is Damien's next door
>     neighbour. ;-)
>

> There are times when I wonder if it would be a good idea to move back
> to Cambridge :-)
>
>     > *Howard, Fiona: *The proposed option /*eliminates*/ the need for a
>     > compile step at all for python. You can still have a browser based
>     > editor - but rather than having it sent to a server for
>     compilation, you
>     > could simply download the file/save locally. You can retain all
>     the same
>     > branding etc, you can have the files hosted on the same platform
>     as the
>     > rest I would assume (since they could be static content I
>     guess), but
>     > you sidestep the need to worry about the touch develop platform.
>     >

>     It eliminates a browser too. Personally this is a huge step. Browser
>     based editors are (to be honest) naff when compared to native editors
>     that kids and teachers will already know.
>

> The thing about keeping the browser element is that it sits in a place
> where they normally go to for the rest of the ecosystem, that creates
> data in the right format - plain text. Ask a non-techie what plain
> text is, and they're likely to say something with text, maybe
> headings, bullet lists, bold and italic. (I got convinced of that
> argument about a decade ago)
>
> Eliminating the *dependency* on it though is great.
>
>     > Ignoring all the technical benefits that this brings, it brings
>     a major
>     > extra - it means that if in a week, a year, 2 years, 5 years,
>     hosting
>     > for a compiler site went away, children using them in Y8, Y9,
>     Y12 would
>     > still be able to use their devices, so long as they were in
>     "python mode".
>     >

>     That's an excellent point. I wish I'd thought of that! ;-)
>

> The risk of "what happens if the compiler is taken away from you" is
> one which we've discussed more than a few times. If that happens you
> have little choice but to build your own. Sidestepping it is neat.
>
>     It's not resources or people that are the major hurdle here - rather
> [...]

Rgds,
Harry + the PythonAnywhere team.

--
Harry Percival
Developer
harry at pythonanywhere.com

PythonAnywhere - a fully browser-based Python development and hosting environment
<http://www.pythonanywhere.com/>

PythonAnywhere LLP
17a Clerkenwell Road, London EC1M 5RD, UK
VAT No.: GB 893 5643 79
Registered in England and Wales as company number OC378414.
Registered address: 28 Ely Place, 3rd Floor, London EC1N 6TD, UK