[meta-sig] Re: [Python-Dev] SIG: python-lang

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@beopen.com
Wed, 31 May 2000 13:49:17 -0400 (EDT)

  PP> Well, you admit that yhou don't read python-list, right? Most of
  PP> us don't, most of the time. Instead we have important
  PP> discussions about the language's future on python-dev, where
  PP> most of the Python community cannot participate. I'll say it
  PP> flat out: I'm uncomfortable with that. I did not include
  PP> meta-sig because (or python-list) because my issue is really
  PP> with the accidental elitism of the python-dev setup. If
  PP> python-dev participants do not agree to have important
  PP> linguistic discussions in an open forum then setting up the
  PP> forum is a waste of time. That's why I'm feeling people here out
  PP> first.

I agree that there is a problem, but I don't think we'll do any good
by setting up another list.  There are two parts to the problem.
First, we may exclude some people from participating in useful
discussions.  Second, we miss out on discussions that do take place on
c.l.py.

I'm actually more worried about the second.  It's been a while since I
read c.l.py and I'm occasionally disappointed to miss out on
seemingly interesting threads.  On the other hand, there is no way I
could manage to read or even filter the volume on that list.

I would welcome a solution that made it easier for people to take
occasional sips of c.l.py instead of drinking from the firehose.
Thinking out loud: Perhaps a moderated mailing list that represents
the python-dev- filtered version of the regular conversation.  If the
moderation could be distributed efficiently over many people, it might
work.  Perhaps some variant of Ping's issue tracker could be used to
track interesting threads.

I'd like to participate more in c.l.py, but I want to second Greg's
sentiment:  I really value the low noise level on python-dev.  I don't
want to do anything that jeopardizes that.

Jeremy

PS  There is some noise on python-dev, like that idiot who posted
something about car alarms.

PPS Or the private emails that spin off of python-dev, like the one
where Barry keeps trying to figure out who Gordon meant when he
suggested someone didn't have a planet-sized-brain.