[melbourne-pug] Melbourne Python meeting - Monday 1 October

Ed Schofield ed at pythoncharmers.com
Tue Sep 25 17:35:39 EDT 2018

Hi all!

We're looking forward to the next meetup of the Melbourne Python user
group on Monday. We've got two interesting talks planned:

*1. Ned Letcher: Creating interactive dashboards with Plotly Dash* (~30
minutes)

Dash is a framework for building modern data-driven web-apps in Python. In
this talk, Ned will describe how Dash builds on Flask, React, and Plotly.js
to provide a platform for Python developers to build analytical web
applications, without requiring any JavaScript. I'll also walk through some
example Dash apps, showing how it can be used for rapidly building
production-grade custom dashboards as well as prototyping proof-of-concept
interfaces.

*2. Sam Bourne: Leveraging type annotations* (~25 minutes)

Sam will talk about the use of type annotations at VFX company Luma
Pictures for helping us avoid mistakes in a large shared codebase. He will
showcase PyCharm's wonderful static type checker and give a demo of how you
can generate dynamically created user interfaces (in Qt) by inspecting
types.

*3. Lightning talks?*

*4. Announcements and pizza*

*When:* 5.45pm for mingling; talks from 6pm; pizza afterwards

*Where: *Level 2, 17 Hardware Lane, Melbourne CBD -- *new venue!*

*How to get there: *Walk 8 minutes from Flinders Street station or 5
minutes from Melbourne Central

*Sponsorship:* many thanks to Outcome Life for providing the venue, Biarri
for sponsoring pizzas, and Python Charmers for organisation and meetup
sponsorship.

*RSVP:* Please respond on Meetup.com so we can track numbers: https://www.
meetup.com/Melbourne-Python-Meetup-Group/

Do come and join us! We hope to see you there!

Best wishes,
    Ed

--
Dr. Edward Schofield