[melbourne-pug] Agile

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sat Jan 30 02:22:46 EST 2016

Brian May <brian at linuxpenguins.xyz> writes:

> I just wondered if anybody here had any tips for how I might go about
> convincing potential employers that I can participate in an formal
> "Agile team environment"?

If they already have a requirement that you have experience working in a
team practicing agile methodology, then I think only the actual
experience would cut the mustard.

What I think such an employer would expect is: you've done it at a
previous role where that *wasn't* a prior requirement to get the role.

So, the only “tip” there would be to obtain employment with some
organisation where the applicant *doesn't* need to have that prior
experience, and then gain the experience on that employer's time. Then,
you'll have the experience for the next role.

In other words, the employer wants to benefit from some other
organisation having already invested in your learning and experience.

> Yes, I could read up more about the theory of Agile programming, however
> I think they want practical experience, not theoretical knowledge.

You're right, I believe. It is a problem: employers tend to want to be
the beneficiary of, but not invest in, education and training of
incoming employees.

--
 \          “Now Maggie, I’ll be watching you too, in case God is busy |
  `\       creating tornadoes or not existing.” —Homer, _The Simpsons_ |