[melbourne-pug] Agile

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 09:26:26 EST 2016

Hi Sunny,

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 1:10 PM, Sunny <sunny at mhfa.com.au> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 5:53 PM, Brian May <brian at linuxpenguins.xyz>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I recently had a job application rejected, for a Python Role, with the
>> following explanation:
>>
>>        "Although we were impressed by your experience and passion for
>>        technology (particularly Python/Django), we are looking for more
>>        hands on experience working in an agile team environment.
>>
>> I suspect a lot of employer's consider Agile very important, and this
>> might be a reason why I haven't had a lot of success so far with my job
>> search.
>>
>> However, there seems to be this problem that I can't get experience
>> "working in an agile team" without getting one of these jobs, which I am
>> unlikely to get because (in the view of the person making the decision)
>> I haven't had the "hands on experience".
>>
>> i.e. in Python that would be:
>>
>> class Experience(object):
>>
>> def get_job(experience):
>>     required_experience = ????
>>     experience = get_additional_experience_required(experience,
>> required_experience)
>>     while True:
>>         try:
>>             job = apply_for_job(experience)
>>             attend_interview(job, experience)
>>             return job
>>         except ApplicationRejected:
>>             pass
>>

>> def get_additional_experience_required(experience, required_experience):
>>     while experience < required_experience:
>>         job = get_job(experience)
>>         goto_work(job)
>>         experience = experience + perform_job(job)
>>     return experience
>>

>> if __name__ == "__main__":
>>     experience = Experience()
>>     while True:
>>         job = get_job(experience)
>>         try:
>>             while True:
>>                 goto_work(job)
>>                 experience = experience + perform_job(job)
>>                 goto_home()
>>                 goto_bed()
>>         except LostJob:
>>             pass
>>

>> Which is likely to produce a stack overflow error. However I don't think
>> stackoverflow.com is going to help me here. How do I fix the above code?
>>

> Just want to add another perspective to the above code... that would have
> applied too for anyone trying to get their first job, not just specifically
> Agile methodology in the field of programming in python. How did you get
> your first job? Are there many python work in Melbourne?
>
> I noticed that it is a common cry from my follow mates when they try to
> get a job for some income for the first time in their life. Not necessarily
> whinging, but it can be a frustrated experience. How would anyone get their
> first job?

Graduate job programs can help, because they are designed to take people
with little or no real world experience.  That's essentially what I went
through, though not with one of the bigger companies.  I also had prior
experience and part time software development work during University, which
probably helped.

A word of warning, though: I didn't realise when I started how much
influence the choice of a first job can have on your career path.  I
happened to choose financial services, and have seen a number of people job
hop between different financial services jobs where their experience is
valued.  Switching to a different domain and toolset is certainly possible,
but the same trap applies: it can be hard establishing the required
experience.  Particularly if you want to go somewhere quite different, like
game programming, data science, or embedded systems.  Depends very much on
the employer, so YMMV.

Jon