[melbourne-pug] Unicode encode problem

Mike Dewhirst miked at dewhirst.com.au
Wed Sep 23 00:41:24 CEST 2015

Thanks John - no success yet, see below ...

On 23/09/2015 5:38 AM, John La Rooy wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 7:51 PM, Mike Dewhirst <miked at dewhirst.com.au
> <mailto:miked at dewhirst.com.au>> wrote:
>
>     File "C:\Users\mike\env\xxex3\lib\encodings\cp1252.py", line 19, in
>     encode
>     Â  Â  return codecs.charmap_encode(input,self.errors,encoding_table)[0]
>     UnicodeEncodeError: 'charmap' codec can't encode character '\u2083'
>     in position 293: character maps to <undefined>
>

> This is telling you that there is no representation for '\u2083' in the
> CP1252 encoding.
> You'll need to tell the logging to open the file with a unicode codec
> (eg utf-8).

I'm using the dict logging config approach because that is what works
for Django out of the box. Here is an excerpt from my config:

logfile = "my_logfile".encode(encoding='utf_8', errors='strict')

LOGGING = {
     'version': 1,
     'disable_existing_loggers': False,
     'handlers': {
         'file': {
             'level': 'DEBUG',
             'class': 'logging.FileHandler',
             'formatter': 'default',
             'filename': logfile,
         },

The errors appear on the console and not in the log file. Obviously.

Maybe I should try the Django list?

Any other ideas?

Thanks again

Mike