[melbourne-pug] last post

Brian May brian at microcomaustralia.com.au
Tue May 26 02:07:28 CEST 2015

On Tue, 26 May 2015 at 09:25 N6151H <n6151h at gmail.com> wrote:

> * The failure mode of “don't do anything with Reply-To” is that
>>   sometimes people send a message to an individual, that they *intended*
>>   to go more public.
>>
>> * The failure mode of “set Reply-To to the mailing list” is that
>>   sometimes people send a message publicly, that they *intended* to be
>>   private to an individual.
>>
>> Which failure is easier to recover?
>>
>> The former is hardly any damage at all; recovery simply requires sending
>> the message again to the correct address.

I agree 100% with this line of reasoning. In my situation there was no harm
done by my email, my manager fully supports me looking for new work.

In another situation however if my management found out I was looking for
more work that could place my current position in serious jeopardy.

Or if I sent a response to an email saying "I don't like XYZ, he has
totally stuffed up package ZYX" and XYZ saw the message this could be
equally as damaging, with no possibility of correcting it.

Sure it is annoying to accidentally have a public message become private,
however it is easy to rectify. Also it is generally speaking easy to filter
out duplicate emails, if you don't like people CCing you.

At the very least, we should have information somewhere about posting job
advertisements to this list (I thought there was something already, but
can't find it), and recommend that all job advertisements have Reply-To:
preset - I believe mailman will see that Reply-To is already set and not
change it (do we need to double check this?).

Having said that, this is one mistake I personally am not likely to make
again in a hurry.