[melbourne-pug] string formatting / Format SPecific Mini Language

David Crisp dcrisp at netspace.net.au
Tue May 13 08:23:49 CEST 2014

I need to create a string that has a variable length of padding and im not
sure how to do it.

For instance

some_string = ("{something:<40}".format(something = somethingelse))

will give me a 40 space padded display of something

What if, after a little bit of string concatination (for want of a abetter
word)  I want to do the following:

string_length = len(some_other_string)

some_string = ("{something:<string_length}".format(something = somethingelse))

When I do this I get a ValueError: Invalid format specifier.

IS there a clean and neat way of doing the above?

Regards,
David Crisp