[melbourne-pug] OS license requirements

Mike Dewhirst miked at dewhirst.com.au
Mon Aug 11 02:34:31 CEST 2014

Apologies for cross-posting

I'm getting near to open sourcing a Django project and have to choose an
appropriate license. Can anyone help me choose?

I have settled on the following requirements ...

1. Project source must be freely available for end users to view and
download and modify and further distribute to others

2. But if user modified source is distributed the modified source must
be freely available for others to view and download and modify and be
subject to the identical license as the project source

3. However, if the user modified source is kept in-house and not further
distributed the changed source may be kept private or offered back to
the project as a patch at the whim of that user.

4. Project (and user modified) source may be combined with proprietary
software but the project (or user mofified) source component remains
subject to the same license. It cannot be distributed as a combined
whole under any other license than the project license.

5. But it can be distributed as a combined whole with proprietary
software provided the project (or user modified) source component is
freely available for end users to view and download and further
distribute to others under the project license even if the proprietary
component is not.

BTW, Django doesn't require that my project use the Django license and
of course I won't be distributing Django.

I'm leaning towards the LGPL but would appreciate feedback from anyone
with contrary views.

Thanks

Mike