[melbourne-pug] External services for in-the-cloud app

Noon Silk noonslists at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 11:16:06 CEST 2013

> Scm: for private repos, I'm happier with bitbucket than I am with
> github. Also, I've not been bit by outages once, which is nice.

I use bitbucket for some personal things, and it is good; better than git
because it is free for private repo's. They'e had outages though, but
depending on what you do, it doesn't really matter, as long as they're
resolved in a few hours, which they have been.

Issue management: I (used to) use a locally-run jira instance. It's
super-cheap if you just buy a small license; something like $10.

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 9:46 AM, Javier Candeira <javier at candeira.com>wrote:

> I'm about to start evaluating external scm, logging, monitoring,
> analytics, issues, etc. services for an in-the-cloud application, and
> I'd like your advice/opinion on the ones you already use.
>
> Monitoring: I'm currently using Server Density for monitoring with
> another client, and dislike it (it initialises your / as a git
> repository, if you can believe it). It's not cheap either. Any of you
> uses New Relic?
>
> Logging: In the past I used the Splunk free tier for logging and
> analytics, and it was fine. but I also think we never used it to its
> full potential. I also wonder if we could have monitoring and logging
> rolled into one, thus saving cost and complexity.
>
> Scm: for private repos, I'm happier with bitbucket than I am with
> github. Also, I've not been bit by outages once, which is nice.
>
> Issue management/Customer feedback: I only know it as a regular
> punter, but I like UserVoice.
>
> Firsthand experience much appreciated!
>
> Javier

Noon Silk