[melbourne-pug] The new software hygiene: Declare a license or risk losing participation

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Oct 9 05:04:08 CEST 2012

Chai Ang <acalcium at yahoo.com.au> writes:

> Might be topical given the recent git postings.
>
> http://opensource.com/law/12/9/declare-software-license?sc_cid=701600000006R97AAE

The advice to declare a license, early and prominently, has been good
advice for a long time.

I recommend anyone hoping to work with a community of programmers to get
and absorb Karl Fogel's book, “Producing Open Source Software”
<URL:http://producingoss.com/>, which has a great deal of practical
advice for setting up and maintaining a free software project.

The text is a little dated, simply because the state of available tools
moves so quickly. But most of the advice still holds, including the
admonition to choose a strong, widely-understood free software license
and clearly declare it on the project's site.

Buy the book if you can, even though it's licensed as free culture.

--
 \       “Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe |
  `\   or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” —Arthur C. Clarke, |