[melbourne-pug] RESTful return in pyramid

N6151H n6151h at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 07:01:46 CEST 2012

 I'm working on converting a pylons app over to pyramid.  In the process, I
also want to make things as RESTful as possible.  To that end, I've been
writing an add-on for the app using pyramid and REST patterns that is
microcosmic enough to give me a fair idea (and practice) for what the
larger project will entail.

The issue I keep running up against is that I make heavy use of dataTables
in that app.  Although this doesn't inherently play REST, you can sorta
make it work  RESTfully and to a large extent  you can do it without having
to circumvent its built-in conveniences (server-side processing / paging)
with your own overrides.   However, this still means engineering your
server-side responses to look the way dataTables wants them to look.  These
are not always all that RESTful, and, should you want to use the same views
for something else, you must then re-engineer those responses.     I can
think of several approaches to making the view callables more generic, but
before I go off re-inventing the wheel, thought I'd float this here and see
if anyone else is doing similar work or knows of projects or modules or
packages  that have addressed this.

Cheers,
Nick