[melbourne-pug] It's the dead of winter, of course you want to MPUG!

William ML Leslie william.leslie.ttg at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 13:11:17 CEST 2011

At Mon, 27 Jun 2011 20:52:07 +1000,
Andrew Thornton wrote:
> I am sure that you won't have any problems finding speakers. Mr
> Dewhirst could always give a speech on why he thinks that django is
> better than the other umpteen web application frameworks. On second
> thoughts, don't allow him to ever give such a talk; I get no joy out
> of someone looking like a fool for saying something that's utterly
> indefensible.

I can't find that quote in my logs.

Yet, so what?  People will have opinions that differ from yours.  If
you write a whiny email for every time someone is wrong on the
internet, you will be very busy.  You won't have time to get around to
statements you merely disagree with.

There is one exception: where people are wrong because they are simply
not aware of some of the issues involved.  But ultimately, if people
don't want to learn, there is nothing you can teach them.

Besides, there are far more interesting points to argue about.

> I will bang on about this point till the year dot. I would NEVER
> make such a statement. Not Cake, not asp.NET, not ROR, not
> anything. To say what Mike said is as dumb as saying that the only
> car that's worth driving is say, a F1 Ferrari race car. Just because
> it's faster than a dune buggy doesn't preclude the dune buggy from
> doing stuff that a Ferrari can not do.

Good for you, I guess.

> One tip in life: do not make stupid absolutist statements around
> arts graduates like myself. We know how to think. We haven't spent
> our lives staring at pointers.

Sorry, elitism doesn't impress anybody.  Qualifications don't mean a
thing if you aren't saying anything meaningful after all.  In fact, if
you are, they don't mean anything either.

I think I'm not the only one that is getting tired of these pointless
and off-topic personal attacks, especially because they are ruining
the mood of the PUG.  Please consider directing your energy elsewhere.

William ML Leslie