[melbourne-pug] Windows thoughts

Mike Dewhirst miked at dewhirst.com.au
Fri Jul 2 07:21:38 CEST 2010

Just in case anyone is contemplating a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
laptop with an intel i7 CPU with 8Gb of RAM, here are my thoughts FWIW.

1. Trying to set up Win7 with Python is problematic if you need Python
packages not yet compiled for 64-bit Windows

2. Trying to set up 32-bit Python with all your familiar packages is
also problematic because some of them might rely on 32-bit Microsoft
Visual Studio C++ libraries. I couldn't get Win7 to even download VC++
without digging IE out of the recycle bin - then it would only download
and install the 64-bit version.

3. The solution seems to be Oracle VirtualBox and to install a 32-bit
WinXP Pro so I can recreate a familiar environment. That is under way as
I write this. I think I'll document what happens in case I have to do it
again!

4. VirtualBox also let me install a 64-bit Linux server and both 64-bit
and 32-bit Linux test environments to exploit more of those i7 cores and
that very generous 8Gb of RAM. Greed is good!

5. I'll take the 64-bit Python road a little more slowly as time permits
and demand requires.

6. Being familiar with WinXP I think Windows Explorer in Win7 sucks.

7. UAC - what were they thinking? I admit it is necessary and also that
the Unix/Linux security model takes getting used to in the beginning.
But it is worthwhile putting the effort in for Linux because it is
stable. It's a good return over a long term investment. I don't trust MS
to get UAC right for quite some time so why should I invest my meagre
brainspace in their ever-changing ideas? BTW I skipped Vista entirely
and managed to persuade my clients likewise. Unfortunately some are
looking at Windows 7 and as I discovered you cannot buy a Windows laptop
without it!

8. It is no use getting upset and frustrated. I'm trying to relax. As
someone else said, there are few certainties in life but you can count
on death, taxes and Microsoft.

Mike