[melbourne-pug] Project time?

Tennessee Leeuwenburg tleeuwenburg at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 01:41:06 CET 2010

I wonder whether something more compelling could be done by data comparison
with other freely available data sources. For example, those summary
statistics could be linked with the OpenAustralia data for the local
electoral region, plus perhaps house pricing figures or other ABS data?

Cheers,
-T

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Anthony Briggs <abriggs at westnet.com.au>wrote:

>  Lars Yencken wrote:
>
> On 5 February 2010 15:39, Leigh Morresi <dgtlmoon at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> has anyone actually tried to get this "data" ?
>

>  I looked at data sets released last year in the same spirit, and they
> seemed to be mostly summary statistics, a far cry from the raw data feeds
> which powered Chicago Crime, which is now EveryBlock<http://www.everyblock.com/>.
>

> That was my thought too. I can't see how you would make something
> compelling with those three example data sets. From the police site:
>
> "Victoria Police will be updating the crime figures every three months so
> you can see what is happening in your suburbs and hear directly from your
> local police Inspector about the work being done by police in your
> neighbourhood."
>
> That's not "open access" - that's called "having a web site". The
> water/stream quality one is the same - there's some data in there, but it
> stops at around 2002, so it's not very useful (eg. no up to the minute
> e-coli readings by beach).
>
> Not that I'm trying to be cynical or anything, but it does seem that
> they're missing the point a bit. Perhaps they'll release more up to date
> data once the competition goes live.
>
> Anthony

Tennessee Leeuwenburg
http://myownhat.blogspot.com/