[melbourne-pug] mapping strings to class

lemeia lemeia at bigpond.com
Sun Jan 8 11:39:42 CET 2006

Hi all,

I've got so far as to dynamically generate a string of conditions from a configuration file. However, I've run into a few problems.

I've contained the whole set of conditions in one string variable which I then execute using the exec statement.

My string will be similar to this:

    if conditionA:
        statement1
        statement2
        return True
    elif conditionB:
        statement1
        statement2
        return True
    else:
        return False

First of all, I found out that I can't use "return" as part of an exec statement unless it is part of a funtion.

So I defined the whole thing as a function (check()) and then called the function from outside of the exec statement.

It sort of looks like this:

def checkResults(self, criteria):
    exec(criteria)
    return criteria()

But it's all falling appart by now. I don't know how the function should be defined within the exec statement so that I can call it successfully from outside of the exec statement.

The fact is that checkResults() is an attribute of an object when it is being called. So that means I would need to make sure that when my dynamically generated function check() is called it needs to have access to the same object - the comparisons are based on attributes of this object. So how do I do this?

Regards
Patrick