[melbourne-pug] any reason to stick to CVS?

Ryan Kelly ryan at rfk.id.au
Tue Aug 15 07:39:32 CEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 15:04 +1000, Maurice Ling wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been hearing a lot about SVN (subversion) recently and Sourceforge
> is also supporting it.
> It seems to me that SVN  is a good version control system which do not
> have some of CVS' defects. It seems that SVN is all pluses. So, is there
> any reason to continue using CVS?
> Well, issues with porting from CVS to SVN aside. Assuming that I start
> the project afresh, are there any reasons I should be using CVS and not
> SVN besides personal taste and experience?

I had a lot of success converting an existing CVS repository to SVN
using cvs2svn.  About the only downside I can think of that that the SVN
repository is opaque, while CVS is transparent.  That is to say, if you
know what you are doing you can muck around in the CVS repository
directly (e.g. to remove all traces of a file ever existing).  Doing so
in SVN is a lot harder.

Of course, many people would consider this a good thing :-)

  Cheers,

     Ryan

--
Ryan Kelly